Angostura Creamy Crab Chowder
- 2 lbs Blue crab meat [Please “pick “through the meat to remove any shells]
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Minced garlic
- 3 tsp Fine thyme
- 2 cups Fish stock
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 2 medium Imported celery stalks, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 10 oz. Potatoes peeled & diced into ½ inch pieces
- 4-5 dashes of ANGOSTURA® aromatic bitters
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 bunches Chive – optional
- 2 tbsp Sherry – optional
- Place the oil into the soup pot and heat gently; then add the garlic and onions and cook until slightly tender and brown.
- Add the fish stock, thyme, celery, potatoes, milk and bitters.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately (8) minutes.
- Add the crab meat and simmer for a further (8) minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning, add the heavy cream and cook for (10) more minutes.
- Optional: Add the sherry just before serving and garnish with chopped chive.